Jobs at Goldsmiths
Head of Civic Engagement
About this role
This is an exciting time to join Goldsmiths. A major priority for the College is the development of a more systematic and strategic approach to its civic engagement activities. To this end, the College is refreshing its vision for its civic mission and it is developing a new civic engagement strategy, building on the successes of its community engagement strategy and longstanding track record in this area. A Strategic Working Group has been established to help embed civic engagement across academic departments and relevant professional service functions, which will be underpinned by two community engagement fora – one internal and the other external. A high level sub-group of Council has also been established to advise on the development of the strategy and accompanying work plan.
This post has been created to support this work by developing processes to help co-ordinate these activities and link up ‘top down’ and ‘bottom up’ approaches. The role will also include a heavy focus on liaising with the College’s local community and improving its understanding of what it community most values from the College and how this matches up with what the College is uniquely placed to offer. The post holder will play a key role in the implementation of the College’s new civic engagement strategy, including its commitment to develop a Civic University Agreement (CUA).
This will involve:
- Supporting the development, planning and implementation of the College’s new civic engagement strategy and accompanying CUA.
- External and internal community engagement building.
- Co-ordinating and facilitating partnerships and programmes of work with partners and stakeholders.
- Liaising effectively with local stakeholders and the local community to identify what they need and want from the College.
- Facilitating the community’s use of the College’s facilities (library, cinema, art gallery).
- Promoting the College’s local and regional contributions and their impacts.
- Drawing up internal and external reports and analysis to assess where the College is adding most value and where there are gaps/issues needing addressing.
- Ensuring that the College’s civic engagement strategy reflects and advances the College’s knowledge exchange strengths and priorities.
We are seeking a self-starter, ideally with an established track record of working in the Higher Education sector in a relevant context. Flexible and versatile, your proven project management skills, together with experience of collaboration with professional and academic colleagues, will enable you to rapidly build effective relationships both internal and external to the College.
Responsibilities of the Post:
To lead the implementation of the new Civic Engagement strategy and provide regular reports on progress to the Director of Research, Innovation and Knowledge Exchange.
To support the University Civic Agreement commitment, which will include liaison and participation in the Lewisham Leaders group and the Lewisham Deal commitment.
To support the development and implementation of partnership agreements (MoUs) with local partners.
To promote the College’s civic engagement activities and approaches to existing and potential new stakeholders and partners.
To manage and support the professional development of the Knowledge Exchange Manager.
To deputise for the Director when required.
These duties are a guide to the work that the post holder will initially be required to undertake. They may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. Please see full details in the job description document for this role.